If you didn’t get the chance to attend one of the four consecutive wine tastings last month, plan not to miss them next year! Each winter, Nadia Galati brings winemakers from Italy here to ABC for a week of events and tastings. This year, the ‘Nadia’s Eleven’ group spent Wednesday-Saturday evenings touring the state and presenting their wines at four tastings we like to call The Italian Winemakers Tour. In addition to lunches and dinner parties, the tasting events are a great way for guests to meet the group, taste the fruit of their labors and ask any questions you like!
This year we welcomed 10 of our favorites, who annually make the trip in support of their wines.
- Giovanna Altinier of Conte Collalto, from the Veneto region, producers of the Collalto Pinot Grigio, Prosecco DOCG and Torrai Cabernet.
- Gregory Perucci, of Felline/Racemi in Puglia, with his Anarkos, Portile Primitivo, Giravolta and Pietraluna Negramaro.
- Elenora Giorgi, from Giorgi in the Oltrepo Pavese, brings us Costarosa Sangue di Giuda, Platino, Acquastella Pinot Grigio, Moscarosa, Nadia Malvasia and many others.
- Mauro Pavia of Agostino Pavia, whose wines from Asti in Piedmonte are lovely! Try Moliss, Bricco Blina and Marescialla.
- Giovanni Cattani from La Calonica in Montepulciano in Tuscany, makes Vino Nobile and Rosso di Montepulciano as well as our Capanne Vecchie wines.
- Giovanna Tantini from the Veneto, with her lovely Chiaretto, Bardolino and Bianco di Custoza, and her delicious Ettore, Veneto Rosso.
- Sisto Tessari of La Cappuccina in the Veneto, specializing in Soave Classico, Campo Buri, Madego red and Pinot Grigio.
- Martina Fornaser from Nicolis, producing top quality Valpolicella Classico, Ripasso Seccal and of course, Amarone and Amarone Ambrosan
- Michele di Gregorio, one of my favorite wineries, and his wonderful Falanghina, Greco di Tufo, Aglianico and the excellent Taurasi!
- Alberto Passeri, from the highly regarded La Gerla, pouring his Rosso di Montalcino, IGT Birba and of course Brunello di Montalcino.
See! If you weren’t there you missed a great evening with lovely wines and lively conversation! Add in the support from local Italian eateries and you have a party, Italian Style!
Shayne Hebert, Wine & Spirits Sales Manager
Follow me on Twitter @abcwineshayne