Although President's Day was originally to honor of George Washington’s birthday, now we celebrate past and present presidents on the third Monday in February. So to honor of our Commanders-in-Chief, we did an investigation into what previous presidents liked to drink. Here's what we discovered:
1. Like all true Americans should, our first president, George Washington, celebrated the end of his term with a party of wine, beer and whiskey. Once faced with retirement, Washington decided to go into the whiskey business and built one of the largest whiskey distilleries in the U.S. in the 18th century. In honor of Washington's love for whiskey, sip a classic bourbon.
2. If not for Franklin D. Roosevelt, we might still be living with Prohibition. FDR was a lover of cocktails who enjoyed making martinis for himself and his guests--they were often in for a treat as FDR was known to add absinthe to his eccentric martinis. Make a martini and toast to FDR with this classic martini recipe.
3. John F. Kennedy had his fair share of favorite drinks. He enjoyed daiquiris, Bloody Marys, and Heineken. Out of all those, his favorite was the Bloody Mary. It was a striking drink that set the tone for the ‘60s. Legend has it that JFK could drink four in one night. Enjoy one yourself to remember JFK.
4. Did you know American wine was not served at the White House until the ‘80s? President Ronald Reagan brought American wines to the White House during his presidency. As a California man, he was proud of his state’s winemaking and wanted dignitaries from all around the world to try it. Wines like Robert Mondavi, Stags' Leap and Simi were among his favorite to serve. The jamminess of this Stags' Leap Petite Sirah will serve fond memories of Reagan.
5. Can you guess which president had the first brewery in the White House? If you guessed #44, then you guessed right! President Obama was the first president to brew inside the White House. The first beer brewed was a honey brown ale with honey used from the White House garden. Pour Pair O'Dice Clearwater Honey Cream for yourself to celebrate today. Find it at your local ABC.
Cheers to the US and three-day weekends!
Please celebrate responsibly.